How to create a good name for a fictional nation in my story?
- pick a foreign-sounding word you like the sound of e.g. sorelle.
- Change a consonant for effect e.g. germanic military use harsh sounds so “sorek”
- Change a vowel e.g. “sorok”
- Add nationalistic trimmings e.g. People’s Democratic Republic of Sorok.
- Check google for meanings in other languages.
How do you name a place in a story?
Whether you’re naming a place or a character there are two things your name needs to be memorable: uniqueness and story impact. Pronounceability also helps. Something that is unique is memorable because it is different.
How are nations named?
About 25 countries are named for their location. Zhōngguó means “middle kingdom,” and Nippon, the endonym for Japan, is “land of the rising sun,” referring to the fact that Japan is east of China, i.e. in the direction of the sunrise from China’s point of view. Norway, “northern way.”
How do you come up with a good fantasy name?
So you want to create good fantasy names?
- Put yourself in your audience’s shoes as they pick up your book for the first time. …
- Keep the name consistent with your worldbuilding. …
- Pay attention to the sound of the character name. …
- Try tweaking existing names from cultures and countries (or a fantasy name generator).
How do you come up with a name for something?
Are you looking for a creative name?
- Use a Metaphor. One way to make sure you leave a visual impression is by using a metaphor. …
- Combine Words. …
- Do The Opposite. …
- It’s right when it sounds right. …
- Change A Few Things. …
- Pronunciation. …
- Be wary of cultural differences. …
- Play With Words.
Which country does not exist?
Countries That No Longer Exist 2022
|Former Country||Collapse Year|
|Union of Soviet Socialist Republics (USSR)||1991|
|United Arab Republic||1961|
Which country named first?
San Marino. By many accounts, the Republic of San Marino, one of the world’s smallest countries, is also the world’s oldest country. The tiny country that is completely landlocked by Italy was founded on September 3rd in the year 301 BCE.
How do you name a fictional kingdom?
How To Name Kingdoms
- The setting of your story. This fictional naming system will not apply to books about the present day or real life since you already have the names. …
- The function of the place. …
- The geographical location. …
- The people living in the city. …
- Symbolism. …
- Names. …
- Inspiration. …
- Alteration of spelling.
What name means death?
Thana means “death.” Thanatos is also a Greek name for the god of death.
What is a cool fantasy name?
Fantasy Human Names
How do I find a unique name?
For help, check out our five tips below.
- Last name switcheroo. Break the rules by using a last name as a first name. …
- A look back to the past. Consider looking at baby names of the past to find a unique name for the future. …
- Get into character. …
- Think outside the box. …
- Get exotic.
How do you make a unique name?
By reading the naming strategies below you’ll certainly pick up useful skills in creating cool character names.
- Pick a One Word Name.
- Go Wild With Humor.
- Make the Name Match.
- Reverse the First and Last Name.
- Repeat. Repeat. Repeat.
- Use Your Name.
- Use an Anagram Generator.
- Add a Prefix or Suffix.
How counties got their names?
Counties are also commonly named after famous individuals, local Native American tribes once in the area (Washoe County, Nevada), cities located within the county, and land or water features (Cerro Gordo County, Iowa, meaning “Fat Hill” in Spanish, and Lake County, Illinois, on Lake Michigan).
What are countries named after?
Sovereign countries named after people
|Country||Source of name|
|Azerbaijan||Atropates (initially Atropatene in Ancient Greek, the name evolved to Azerbaijan in Persian)|
|China||Uncertain, traditionally Emperor Qin (pronounced “Chin”) of the Qin Dynasty|
How did China get its name?
The name ‘China’ comes from the Sanskrit Cina (derived from the name of the Chinese Qin Dynasty, pronounced ‘Chin’) which was translated as ‘Cin’ by the Persians and seems to have become popularized through trade along the Silk Road.
Why do we call countries by different names?
Sometimes it’s simply due to places being referred to by different tribes or groups that once lived there. Germany, for example, is called “Deutschland” in German, which translates to “the land of [our] people.” Its English name comes from a tribe that resided there.
Which country has most names?
Often referred to as the UK, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland is the longest country name, boasting of 56 characters. The UK is a sovereign country situated on the northwestern coast of Europe. It comprises of the island of Great Britain and the northernmost region of the island of Ireland.
Which country has two name?
EXPLAINER | One country, two names: Myanmar and Burma; why they matter. In 1989, one year after the ruling junta brutally suppressed a pro-democracy uprising, military leaders suddenly changed the country’s name to Myanmar.