Ooops!! Just How Dropsy Plopsy Are You?
Yesterday l was in the Bear Rescue Centre here in Sandwich, it’s not called that, it’s actually called Basil & Rose. They are listed as an Antique and Modern Collectable store. They are great, because the store is basically like Willow here as in it’s filled with all their passions from childhood as well as their teenager to young adult years. It’s eclectic and diverse and fun and entertaining and l love it!
Rose is principally the main bear rescuer and Basil is the repair Doc … but l wasn’t there yesterday specifically ‘rescuing a bear’ .. l mean yes l did, rescue another bear – these are complex rescues – if anyone asks, that’s what l tell them. I donate to rescue them and award them a home filled with as much love as Rose and Basil award! Currently l have three ‘such rescues’ here that make up for The Willow Bears. But those tales are for another time!!
No, yesterday l was there because on Saturday l had seen something that l couldn’t resist for the house here … a Top Hat and a Gas Mask and a Glass Head! It’ll make more sense soon enough and more so when l create the next The Blokes New Digs post that deals with it. But that’s why l was in there … well and the rescue and a couple of other bits, as well .. moving along, say no more, ahem!!
As l was talking to Rose and Basil in my typical masked up jovial and laughing animated manner – as in arms and legs at times everywhere, l accidentally walked backwards onto a large plate!!
“”Ooooops!!” l suddenly gulped, when l heard what l thought was breaking ceramic! Luckily for me as the plate was around £40 that it wasn’t breaking, it was merely a case of l had slightly scuffed it with the back of my heel and slid it into a pile of ceramic plates – hence the sound!
We joked at that point and l recounted the story of the Accidental Gem Stone of 1973 when l was 10 and living in Springvale South in Victoria in Australia. At that time, my mother was very much into gemstone jewellry and not just the collection and wearing of it, but the crafting of bespoke pieces for sales.
She had all the kit needed, polishers, buffers, tweezers and everything else and every Saturday we all had to trek down to the town and visit the local gemstore. Whenever we were there, we were under strictest instructions to NOT touch anything!!
I loved going … but l hated going — because for a fellow like me who adores pretty sparkly colours, a gemstore is an accident waiting to happen! This day, two accidents happened, both scarred for life!!
You see, l had a real passion for some of the Amethyst displays, they were just so pretty and they were like little tiny glitsy glittering sparkly slivery rocky caves all wrapped up in a stone!! [Yes it is a mouthful!] I saw one and it was huge – my parents were busy and l thought “Well only a little touch, what’s the worst that can happen??”
Some things shouldn’t be poked and some things are not designed for ten year old boy fingers to poke at or in. It was a little hole in the centre of this glittering Amethyst and l had to poke it ……….. what happend? $500 of accidental poking happening and my finger shattered the internal workings of the stone … we had to buy it or somehow replace it – the latter impossible because it was unique!!
Damn, but l was smacked so hard and so much that l was smacked right out of the store, l was smacked on the sidewalk, l was hurled against the car and then my fingers were shut in the car door, not intentionally – but l was smacked, injured, and grounded for like … 3 months. My pocket money was docked for a year ……….. it was a poke too far!! Dropsy to the extreme!!
Maybe, l will write the story of that one day, but what’s the point now haha, you get the jist. The question however is this…
What is the worst clumsiest and most costly of accidental errors you have ever had the misfortune of making?
Let me know below.