The String, its proverbial length and the length end is near.
Suze and l took Scrappy to her pre-booked vets appointment this afternoon at 3pm. Sadly the results were not good.
She does have an anal gland lump that has indeed gotten bigger since the first identification of its presence in January of this year. We saw today the vet who discovered it back then, so she was able determine what the growth rate was.
In January it was pea sized, and here we are in July and it is now kumquat size. Okay by itself as a cancer this is not great news. In the next 6 weeks the vet now believes that it will increase in growth by a further 50% based on her experience. Whilst this is a problem, it is not that serious a problem, it is not hindering Scrappy’s functionality abilities, but something else is, that has now taken prime precedence on Scrappy’s health and that is her mobility due to her arthritis. Sadly in the last three months and you may have read this before in my writings especially in her diary episodes that her walking has become very poor.
We take her now on much shorter walks these days, much to her own angst, but for her own health.
Scrappy refuses point blank to allow us to help her with pain relief tablets and today we learned that Scrappy whilst not writhing in agony is in many ways her own biggest enemy because as a sturdy hardy breed doesn’t express her pain levels freely. By not taking medication in solid form we are restricted by the sheer lack of soluable medications for dogs on the market.
We have one and we are now researching or rather the vet is the use of Gabapentin which although mainly for cats, can be used on dogs, but it is expensive considering the dose and the price per 50ml bottle. I have given the go ahead to order it if needs be unless a suitable alternative can be found.
If she starts taking it, then we are to have her take it for a month, if she responds then Suze and l have longer with Scrappy as we can award her some respite but sadly if there is no improvement in the first week ten days, then we must make the decision for her health. The last thing Suze and l would want is our little girl being in crippling pain.
So really, at this current time with no pain relief as a family we have very little time left together it is now day by day rather than month by month. We all hope for the fact that the liquid medication can assist, but time will tell.
So there we go, an update for all Scrappy’s fans and friends alike.
Thanks for reading Rory